DNA Screen has six steps for participants:
1. Registration: check your eligibility and register your interest via the Registration webpage.
2. Read this Information document and watch the video: Contact the study team if you have any questions.
3. Provide consent: If you are selected to participate, you will be sent an invitation link via email and SMS and will be asked to complete an electronic consent form.
4. Collecting a sample: After completing the consent form, we will send you (via post) a saliva collection kit. This kit is approved in Australia for the collection of DNA through a saliva sample and has instructions about how to provide your sample. Are turn-paid envelope will be included so you can post your sample back to our lab at Monash University, where your DNA will be tested and your sample will be stored.
5. Receiving results: If we find you have inherited a high-risk gene change, a genetic counsellor will contact you by phone to explain the result and discuss your options.The genetic counsellor will arrange a referral to an appropriate specialist health professional for further advice and ongoing care. A blood test will be required to confirm your initial result. There will be no out-of-pocket costs for tests or appointments associated with the study or any ongoing care. If we find you have not inherited a high-risk gene change, you will be notified by SMS and email. You will be able to access additional information about the result from our website and speak with a genetic counsellor if you have further questions.
6. Follow up: A member of the research team will send you a questionnaire or contact you directly to gather information about your experience. We may also gather information from your medical records for the study, or seek medical information from your doctor(s), especially if you have inherited a high-risk gene change.